From $220 per person
This course is for those individuals who may be required to carry out gas testing of an atmosphere prior to entering a specific area or workspace. Such as working environments which may be hazardous, unpredictable, subject to time pressure, chaotic and expose responders to risk, on land or water, by day or night. Or workplace atmospheres which may include visible and invisible hazards and hazardous surfaces.
It covers the skills and knowledge required to test the working atmosphere using electronic test apparatus, to find out if it is safe for the proposed work, interpret readings and take actions based on the interpretation.
Situations that require testing might include:
- confined spaces
- enclosed and partially enclosed spaces
- hot work
- storage tanks, silos, pits, pipes, shafts, ducts, transport vehicles and ships
- testing as part of issuing a work permit
- monitoring as part of working under a work permit
- open areas
- holding the gas tester by hand
- lowering the gas tester into a space, e.g. on a line.
The following units will be included in your certificate:
Participants must have:
The physical capacity to wear the appropriate PPE and use testing apparatus to test the atmosphere of an area.
The ability to take readings and interpret, report/record relevant data.
Individuals undertaking this course will be expected to complete both written and practical assessment tasks.
Assessments conducted during face-to-face training session(s) include:
Practical scenarios: For a Confined Space scenario and Well Head scenario, complete the following:
- Prepare for testing
- Test gas
- Interpret readings
- Monitor gas on an ongoing basis
- Communicate required actions to be taken, based on the interpretation
- Maintain equipment
- Maintain records of tests and results in accordance with procedures
Documentation - The student must complete site-based test gas report forms
Theory assessment - A written assessment consisting of short answer and multiple-choice questions. The student must complete all assessment questions.