By undertaking this course, individuals will be provided with the knowledge and skills required to recognise when someone is unconscious and not breathing normally (Cardiac Arrest) and increase their chance of survival by calling an ambulance and performing potentially lifesaving cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR), including using a defibrillator, until emergency services arrive to take over.
This course also provides individuals with knowledge and skills to provide first aid in an electricity supply industry (ESI) environment. Individuals will be able to apply their skills and knowledge by being able to recognise and provide an initial response where first aid is required in emergency situations, which includes the ability to provide essential first aid using basic life support measures according to established workplace first aid policies and procedures.
The course is delivered in line with the Australian Resuscitation Council guidelines and applies to all workers or members of the community who may be required to provide CPR in the event of an emergency.
Application of the skills and knowledge described in this unit may require a licence/registration to practice in the workplace or ESI environment and may be subject to regulations for the undertaking of electrical work. State and territory legislative and regulatory licencing requirements must be confirmed prior to commencing this unit.
The following units will be included in your certificate:
- Participants must have the physical capacity to perform 2 minutes of uninterrupted CPR on the floor
- Physical fitness to be able to meet the demands of the practical demonstration skills including manual handling in the rescue of a mock casualty
- Sufficient English language, literacy, numeracy and visual interpretation skills to successfully complete the course
- Personal safety equipment (PPE) must be provided by the student and worn during practical sessions
Individuals undertaking this course will be expected to complete both written and practical assessment tasks.
- Perform CPR on an infant
- Perform CPR on an adult (incl. the use of an AED)
- Management of an electrical burn and bleeding
- Management of an electrical burn and shock
- Completion of an Incident report form
Theory assessment – A written assessment consisting of multiple-choice and short answer questions. The student must complete all assessment questions.